Furniture Trades' Benevolent Association Home, Aspley Guise, Bedfordshire
In December, 1940, to escape the threat of German invasion, the children's home run by the Furniture Trades' Benevolent Association (FTBA) moved from St-Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex, to new premises at The Hoo, 93-95 West Hill, Aspley Guise. In commemoration of the home's original location of Radlett, Hertfordshire, the property was renamed Radlett House. It could accommodate up to 30 children who were the 'orphan and necessitous children' of the trade's members.
Children could enter the home from the age of five and remain until the age of 15, when they were placed in suitable employment. The younger children attended the school at Aspley Heath, about three-quarters of a mile from the home, with the older ones going to the Harpur Trust Central School at Bedford. On leaving the home to take up employment, each inmate was provided with a complete leaving outfit.
In 1962, with the numbers at the home having fallen to under twenty, the FTBA sold off part of the grounds to build a police house and two bungalows. By July, 1963, with the number of children now down to just six, the home was closed. The remaining children were transferred to the Royal Alexandra and Albert School at Reigate.
In more recent times, the property has been used as office accommodation.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.