Mission House / Home for Infants, Battersea Rise, London
In 1880, the Female Aid Society established a Mission House in south-west London providing temporary accommodation for 'fallen' women, including maternity cases before and after their confinement. By 1897, the establishment was based in premises at 4 Chivalry Road, Battersea Rise, where 12 women could be accommodated. In 1911, now run by the Wandsworth and Battersea Ladies' Association for the Care of Friendless Girls, it was occupying 3-4 Chivalry Road, with 20 places available.
At around this time, the premises became a Home for Infants, providing 20 places for 'orphans and those needing a home'. A weekly payment of 12s. was requested for those admitted to the Home, which was now superintended by Miss E. Tatchell.
In around 1923, the Home moved out of London to Blunham, near Sandy, Bedfordshire. Its then superintendent, Miss E. Tatchell, also moved to Blunham with the Home.
The Chivalry Road premises are now occupied by offices of the National Association of Probation Officers.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Bartley, Paula Prostitution: Prevention and Reform in England, 1860-1914 (2000, Routledge)
- Finnegan, Frances Poverty and Prostitution: A Study of Victorian Prostitutes in York (1979, CUP)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.