Fieldhead Nursery, Battyeford, near Mirfield, West Riding of Yorkshire

The Fieldhead Nursery was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1940 at Kitson Hill Road, Battyeford, near Mirfield. Some of the first residents were children transferred from the St Agnes' Home at Mirfield.

The new home's official opening was performed by the Bishop of Wakefield, the Rev. Walsham How, on June 8th, 1940. A few weeks later, Fieldhead received a visit from the Princess Royal, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood, when the home contained 36 war-orphaned children.

Former Fieldhead Nursery, Battyeford, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Fieldhead Nursery, Battyeford, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

The home closed in 1971. The property is now a residential care home.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.