St Matthew's Home for Female Orphans, Bayswater, London
St Matthew's Home for Female Orphans was established in 1839 'to provide destitute female orphans with maintenance and clothing, together with such religious instruction and moral training as may enable them to gain an honest livelihood as servants or otherwise.'
In 1869, the Home was based at 10 Victoria Grove (later renamed Ossington Street), Bayswater. In September of that year, a fire at the house destroyed the back part of the basement, with the upper portion of the house also seriously damaged. The fire was thought to have been caused by overheating the ironing stoves.
By 1881, the Home was occupying premises at 35-37 Ossington Street, where around 40 girls could be accommodated. By 1907, the Home had moved to 49 Ossington Street with space for 20 girls.
Admission to the Home was by election of the charity's subscribers, and payment of an entrance fee of £4. Candidates had to be recommended by a subscriber, and furnish certificates of birth or baptism, or other evidence of age, of parents' marriage and death, and of health.
The Home is believed to have ceased operation at around the time of the First World War.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.