Bedfordshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Bedfordshire County Council.
- Clevedon Nursery, 14 Dunstable Street, Ampthill
- Silver Birches, 134 Bromham Road, Bedford
- 28-30 Meadway, Bedford
- Bedford Day Nursery, Woburn Road, Bedford
- Bedfordshire Reformatory for Boys, School Lane, Carlton, Bedford
- Hillcote (later Holmfield), 134 London Road, Biggleswade*
- Holmeside, Station Road, Biggleswade*
- Maythorne Hostel for Mentally Handicapped Children, The Lawns, The Baulk, Biggleswade
- 187 Westfield Road, Dunstable
- 39 Oakwood Avenue, Dunstable
- The White House, Eggington
- The Barns, 123 High Street, Kempston
- Bedford Union / Bedfordshire Council Cottage Home, Kempston Lodge, 80 Bunyan Road, Kempston*
- Oxendon House Remand Home, Plantation Road, Leighton Buzzard
- 111 London Road, Luton
- Luton Union/Council Cottage Home, Beech Hill Homes, Dunstable Road, Luton*
- 'Belle Vue', Napier Road, Luton
- 'Fairlight', Hart Hill Lane, Luton
- Runfold House, 48-50 Parys Road, Luton
- Tomlinson House Children's Home, Luton
- 'Winsdon', 2 Farley Hill, Luton
- Manor Farm, 76 London Road, Sandy
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Bedfordshire Council homes may exist at:
- Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service, Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford. MK42 9AP.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.