Belbroughton Home for Girls, near Stourbridge, Worcestershire

The Belbroughton Home for Girls was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1889 at Church Hill, Belbroughton, near Stourbridge. It was set up in the wake of the successful launch of the boys' home at Hanley Castle in the previous year. The Belbroughton home was officially opened on October 31st, 1889, by Viscountess Cobham.

Belbroughton Home for Girls, Stourbridge, 1900. © Peter Higginbotham

The home's limited space provided accommodation for 14 girls aged from 4 to 14. Its capacity was increased to 24 when the neighbouring property was leased in 1891.

From 1903, the home was known as the All Saints' Home for Girls.

By 1909, the home was in need of considerable repairs and funds were raised for these to be undertaken. However, it was decided to instead put the money towards the building of a new home which was opened at Clent. The Belbroughton home closed in 1910 and the residents moved to Clent.

The property is now a private residence.

Former Belbroughton Home for Girls.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.