Fox Lodge Industrial School, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

In 1883, the managing Committee of the Training Ship Gibraltar paid £4,000 for a property known as Fox Lodge situated near Ormeau Park at Ballynafeigh, Belfast. The house, together with its 14 acres of land, was intended to operate as an Industrial School for Protestant boys below the age of ten who were too young to be received on the Gibraltar. It would also provide a facility for boys from the ship requiring medical care. On January 10th, 1884, Fox Lodge was officially certified to accommodate 50 boys, later increased to 100.

By the mid-1890s, the capacity of the Fox Lodge was proving inadequate and the School's Committee began to search for larger premises. In 1897, a lease was obtained from Sir James Musgrave for the former Model Farm and 22 acres situated on the edge of West End (now Musgrave) Park at Balmoral, Belfast. The School transferred to its new home on November 30th of that year.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.