St Garmon's Home for Boys, Betws Garmon, Carnarvonshire, Wales

The St Garmon's Home for Boys was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1917 at Betws Garmon (or Bettws Garmon), Carnarvonshire. The official opening, by the Society's founder Prebendary Edward Rudolf, took place on September 27th, with its dedication being performed by the Bishop of Bangor, The home was located in a 'handsome country mansion' previously known as Tan-y-Gareg (or Tanygarreg) which had been given to the Society by the Rev. F.M. Parry of Plasyphant, Betws Garmon. It could house 24 boys aged from 5 to 14.

Former St Garmon's Home, Betws Garmon.

In 1918, tho home received boys from the Bodorgan Home on Anglesey, which was being closed.

St Garmon's itself was closed in 1920.

In recent times, the property has become the Plas-y-Coed hotel.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.