Handsworth / Beatrix Nursery, Birmingham, Warwickshire

The Handsworth Nursery was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1945 at 111 Church Hill Road, Handsworth, Birmingham. Up until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, the building had housed the Society's Calthorpe/Handsworth Home for Girls. In its new guise, the home provided residential care for babies and toddlers.

In 1964, the home was revamped as the Beatrix Nursery and Nurses' Home, taking its name from the recently closed Beatrix Nursery at East Knoyle. A day nursery was opened at the premises in 1972, with the residential nursery closing a few years later.

The building no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.