Blackburn Day Industrial School, Blackburn, Lancashire

In 1890, the Blackburn School Board established a Day Industrial School in purpose-built premises at Mayson Street, Blackburn. The School was formally certified to begin operation on October 30th, 1890, and could accommodate up to 150 children aged from 6 to 14 years. The superintendent was Mrs Whittaker, assisted by Miss Jeffrey and Miss A. Corless, and a cook and caretaker.

As well as classroom lessons, the children were engaged in industrial training. In 1891, it was reported that 28 children, in two shifts, were occupied in making coal sacks. The rest were variously employed in keeping the house clean and in helping in the kitchen and, scullery. The girls learned to knit and to sew. By 1894, mat-making was being carried out, and laundry work had been introduced for the girls. Girls were always very much in the minority at the School. In 1896, they accounted for only 8 of the 71 inmates.

By 1896, Miss S.J. Quayle had taken over as superintendent. She was to hold the post for the remainder of the School's existence.

In the early 1900s, twice-weekly half-hour drill sessions with dumb-bells and Indian clubs were introduced for both boys and girls. Some of the boys attended a centre for manual instruction, with drawing also now being taught.

Following a steady decline in numbers being placed at the School, it was closed on March 28th, 1907.

The School buildings no longer survive.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.


  • None noted at present.