St Mary's Orphanage for Boys, Blackheath, London
St Mary's Orphanage for Roman Catholic Boys was established in 1857 for the reception of 'respectable fatherless boys; not of the poorest class.' It was managed by its Chaplain, who was appointed by the Bishop of Southwark.
The home occupied premises at Park House, Cresswell Park, Blackheath, London SE3. Candidates for admission, aged between 6 and 12 years, were nominated and elected by the charity's subscribers. They remained at the home until they were 14 or 15 years of age. The inmates were trained for commerce, with some being apprenticed from the Orphanage. In 1889, there were 76 boys in residence.
The former Orphanage premises now form part of Our Lady of help Christians' RC Church.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.