Blantyre House Detention Centre, Goudhurst, Kent
In April 1954, the Blantyre House Detention Centre was opened at Roundgreen Lane, near Goudhurst, Kent. The premises had formerly housed the Canada Training Farm run by James Fegan to prepare boys for emigration. In its new role, the establishment housed up to 99 senior boys, aged from 17 to 20, who had been sentenced to short prison sentences of up to three months.
The establishment was re-opened as an adult prison in 1991 and acted as a resettlement prison for long-term prisoners. It was amalgamated with East Sutton Park prison in 2007.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Wolff, MichaelPrison (1967, Eyre & Spottiswoode)
- Detention Centres (HMSO, 1970)
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.