Blunham Babies' Home, near Sandy, Bedfordshire
The Blunham Babies' Home was opened by the Children's Aid Society in around 1923 at The Cottage, 81 High Street, Blunham, Sandy, Bedfordshire. It could accommodate 20 children, aged from 2 to 3 years.
The Home had previously been based at Battersea Rise in south-west London. Its then superintendent, Miss E. Tatchell, remained in charge after the move to Blunham. In 1933, the Home moved to new premises at Upper Tulse Hill, Lambeth.
The Cottage at Blunham is now a private residence.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- The records of the Children's Aid Society were inherited by Barnardo's. Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- The Children's Aid Society: its work and its aims. (1938)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.