St Mary's Boys' Home, Boston Spa, West Riding of Yorkshire

St Mary's Boys' Home, on Church Street, Boston Spa, was opened in 1942 by the Catholic Diocese of Leeds Rescue and Protection Society (now known as Catholic Care). It acted as a replacement for the Society's St Vincent's Home for Boys in Leeds which had been evacuated at the end of 1940 to the St John's Home, which also stood on Church Street. The younger boys from St Vincent's moved into the new St Mary's Home, while the older boys remained at St John's until 1946 when they were transferred to the St Gabriel's Home at Horsforth, near Leeds. St Mary's could accommodate up to 15 boys aged from 3 to 16 years.

St Mary's Boys' Home, Boston Spa, c.1950s.

Up until 1950, St Mary's was run by the Sisters of Our Lady of Good and Perpetual Succour. They were then succeeded by the Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Finnigan, Robert et al, 150th Anniversary History 1863-2013 Catholic Care, Diocese of Leeds (2013, Catholic Care)