St Mary's Home for Factory and Working Girls, Bow, London
St Mary's Home for Factory and Working Girls (also known as St Mary's Home for Working Girls) was in operation by 1907 at 26 Bow Road, Bow, London E3. The home was run by Sisters from the Convent of Marie Auxiliatrice. Its aim in 1907 was to "receive and train in machine and needlework, laundry or domestic work girls of the East End, who can lodge and board on very moderate terms." Its intake was primarily Roman Catholic girls from the age of 14 years, Much of the home's income came from laundry work. By 1920, the home also provided a non-sectarian hostel for business girls.
By 1927, the home was known as the Home for Training Girls. It was still in operation in 1943.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.