Salvation Army Maternity Home, Bradninch, Devon
In around 1941, the Salvation Army established a maternity home at Dunmore House, West End Road, Bradninch, Devon. It was donated for the purpose by its former occupants, the Hepburn family. The premises accommodated up to 22 mothers and 17 babies. There were also lying-in beds for married women. The usual length of stay was for six weeks before confinement and four months after confinement.
The property has now been converted to private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre, William Booth College, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8BQ. Email email@example.com. Has a research service, with initial enquiries answered free, more detailed follow-up research charged at £20 per hour. There is also an online catalogue of the Centre's holdings.
- Booth, William In Darkest England, and the Way Out (1890, London: International Headquarters of the Salvation Army)
- Sandall, Robert The History of the Salvation Army (1955, London: Nelson)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.