Nazareth House, Bristol, Gloucestershire

A Nazareth House, a Nazareth House, was opened in 1921 in a large old house known as Cote Bank (or Cotebank) on Westbury Road, Westbury-on-Trym, near Bristol. The home housed orphan and destitute Roman Catholic girls.

In 1929, the home was forced to move when the Bristol Corporation decided to build what is now Falcondale Road across the estate, a scheme which involved the demolition of Cote Bank. New premises were then found a couple of miles away at Sneyd Park House on the Old Sneed estate at Stoke Bishop.

The home finally closed in 1970 and the building was demolished soon afterwards. The Glenavon Park housing development now occupies the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography