LCC Industrial School for Girls, Brixton, London
In 1909, the London County Council (LCC) established an Industrial School for Girls at 54-56 Brixton Hill, Brixton, London SW2. The establishment was formally certified for operation on December 13th, 1909, with accommodation for 60 girls. The superintendent and matron was Miss A.E. Stevens.
As well as classroom education, the girls were taught knitting and needlework and made their own underclothing and frocks. The older girls repaired their own clothes. Training was also given in laundry work, and cookery lessons were introduced in 1911. The girls were given physical training, instructed in simple dancing, and played games.
In May, 1912, the capacity of the School was increased to 84 places.
The School closed in April 1920. The original buildings no longer survive and Lambeth College now occupies the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. Has Register of Children (1910-1919).
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.