Girls' Preventive/Protective Home, Brixton, London
Girls' Protective Home was established in 1884 'to receive girls in dangerous circumstances, but not fallen.' The Home was originally known at the Girls' Preventive Home and occupied premises at 62 Arthur Road (now Fairbairn Road), Brixton SW9. There was accommodation for up to 7 girls under the age of 20, who were trained in needlework and laundry work.
The Home subsequently moved to 225 Brixton Road and then to 68 Vassall Road, where it had by now been renamed the Girls' Protective Home. Here, up to 25 girls could be housed, with a payment of six shillings per week required.
Each girl was expected to provided a plain outfit, and a medical certificate was required stating that the girl was in good health and free from any cutaneous disorder. The girls were given a basic education, including singing and physical drill, and were examined annually by an educational inspector. After training was completed, suitable situations were found for the inmates, and prizes were given to those who kept their situations for a specified period.
In around 1905, the Home moved to Hasting to merge with the town's Ladies' Association home and establish the Mount Hermon Home.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.