Buckinghamshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Buckinghamshire County Council.
- 1A Churchill Avenue, Aylesbury
- 23 Walton Road, Aylesbury
- 65 Priory Crescent, Aylesbury
- The Mount, Little Kimble, Aylesbury
- The Orchard, 25Walton Road, Aylesbury
- Northgate, 64 Station Road, Beaconsfield
- Aylesbury House, Bledlow
- Wycombe Union School / Buckinghamshire Council Home, Bledlow Ridge Road, Bledlow*
- Jasmine House, Bledlow
- South Wing, Bledlow
- Greenfields, 18A St George's Road, Bletchley
- 5 Surrey Road, Counties Estate, Bletchley
- Chiltern View, Nalders Road, Chesham
- Crosfield House, Packhorse Road, Gerrards Cross
- Stow Lodge, Oval Way, Gerrards Cross
- 292 Micklefield Road, High Wycombe
- Merton House, 19 Culverton Hill, Princes Risborough
- Saunderton Hostel, Saunderton
- Elmside Hostel, 1 Upton Road, Slough
- Brookside Nursery, 103 Bath Road, Slough
- Bilby House, 55 Langley Road, Slough
- Brondeg, 320 Stoke Poges Lane, Slough
- Manor Lodge, 2A Mildenhall Road, Slough
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Buckinghamshire Council homes may exist at:
- Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Bucks HP20 1UU.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.