St Cadoc's Home for Girls, Caerleon, near Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales
St Cadoc's Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1903 at Caerleon, near Newport. It was formally opened on September 14th, 1903, with Canon Francis Bedwell conducting its ceremony of dedication to St Cadoc. Initially, the home was temporarily based in a pair of converted cottages near the railway station, while fund-raising was carried out to build permanent premises. Land for the home was donated by Viscount Tredegar who was a vice-president of the Society and known to many of its children as its Grand Old Uncle. A foundation stone for the new building was laid at a ceremony held on September 14th, 1907.
The formal opening of the completed building took place on June 28th, 1908. The new home, at 11a Norman Street, Caerleon, could accommodate 20 girls aged from 6 to 14.
The home closed in 1984. The property is now occupied by the National Autistic Society.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The Children's Society Records and Archives Centre is at Edward Rudolf House, Margery Street, London, WC1X 0JL (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Files for children admitted to its homes after September 1926 were microfilmed in the 1980s and the originals destroyed. Some post-1926 files had already been damaged or destroyed during a flood.
The Society's Post-Adoption and Care Service provides access to records, information, advice, birth record counselling, tracing and intermediary service for people who were in care or adopted through the Society.
- The Society has produced detailed catalogues of its records relating to disabled children, and of records relating to the Children's Union (a fundraising body mostly supported from the contributions of children).
- Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
- Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
- Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
- Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
- Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.
- Hidden Lives Revealed — the story of the children who were in the care of The Children's Society in late Victorian and early 20th Century Britain.
- The Children's Society
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.