Rescue Society Family Home, Camden Town, London
In about 1859, a 'Family Home' was established by the Rescue Society at Brickwork Cottages, Camden Town, London NW1. The Rescue Society, also known as the Society for the Rescue of Young Women and Children, was established by Daniel Cooper in 1853 'for the reformation of openly immoral women and the guardianship and training of young girls exposed to danger.' The Society eventually operated about a dozen homes.
On March 23rd, 1859, the establishment was certified to operate as an Industrial School. It resigned its certificate on February 11th, 1862.
In 1955, the Society was taken over by Fegan's Homes, now Fegans Child and Family Care
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.