Camden London Borough Council Homes

Composite list of children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by Camden London Borough Council.


  • 115 Furzehill Road, Borehamwood
  • 141 Furzehill Road, Borehamwood
  • 167 Furzehill Road, Borehamwood
  • 2 Gravely Avenue, Borehamwood
  • 2/4 Burghley Avenue, Borehamwood
  • 8 Arundel Drive, Borehamwood
  • 8 Burghley Avenue, Borehamwood

London (N/NW Postal Areas)

  • 93 Mayford, Oakley Square, Camden Town
  • 17 Granville Road, Crouch End
  • 6 Dartmouth Park Avenue, Dartmouth Park
  • 16 Acol Road, Hampstead
  • 66 Maresfield Avenue, Hampstead
  • 86 West Heath Road, Hampstead
  • Heysham, Branch Hill, Hampstead
  • 170 Endling, Malden Road, Kentish Town
  • St Margaret's, 25 Leighton Road, Kentish Town
  • 96-98 Shoot-Up Hill, Kilburn
  • 1 Limes Avenue, Mill Hill
  • 10 Bramshurst, Abbey Road, St John's Wood
  • 32 St Edmund's Terrace, St John's Wood
  • Hostel, 93 Mountview Road, Stroud Green
  • 1-2 Dorney Towers, Adelaide Road, Swiss Cottage


indicates homes at some time also run by a county council.


The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Camden Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.