85-87 Newport Road, Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales

In 1883, a 'Home for Friendless Girls' was opened at 87 Newport Road, Cardiff. It provided temporary accommodation for up to twelve girls, aged 12-18, who 'have not fallen, but are in danger'. A payment of 3s. 6d. per week was requested where possible.

In 1911, the establishment was taken over by the National Children's Home (NCH), and seems to have continued along very much the same lines. It subsequently expanded into the neighbouring house at number 85 which was then used for lodgers, while number 87 was deployed as a training home where girls lived for a year to learned house and laundry work to fit them for domestic service. In 1930, the premises could accommodate a total of 36 girls.

In August 1914, a few weeks after the outbreak of the First World War, the home's log book recorded that 'The Hall' was being used for Red Cross nursing lectures. In October 1914, a family of Belgian refugees arrived and were housed in the lodgers' quarters at number 85.

In the Second World War, increasing danger from air raids led to the home being evacuated in March, 1941.

The Newport Road premises no longer exist.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films