Cumberland Reformatory for Boys, Carlisle, Cumberland
The Cumberland Reformatory School for Boys was opened in October 1854 by Mr G.H. Head, of Stanwix, who for a while also financed the running of the establishment. The institution was located at Stanwix, to the north of Carlisle, where Tarraby Lane now runs. The premises were officially certified for use on May 1st, 1855, to receive up to boys committed by magistrates. A report in 1857 noted that the buildings had originally been intended as farm premises but had been remarkably well altered for their new use. The School was also said to have been adapted to receive masters in training to work in reformatory schools.
The School had 118 acres of farmland and the industrial training given to the boys was mainly agricultural. The farm, like most in the area was a dairy one and cheese featured prominently in its produce. Inspection reports were regularly positive and in 1881, it was suggested that 'there is no better School under inspection.' By this date, there were also tailors' and shoemakers' workshops in operation. The School also had a wind band.
The Cumberland Reformatory was closed in 1882 and the inmates transferred to other establishments.
The former Reformatory premises now form part of the Brampton Road campus of the University of Cumbria.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Carpenter, Mary Reformatory Schools, for the Children of the Perishing and Dangerous Classes, and for Juvenile Offenders (1851, General Books)
- Carlebach, Julius Caring for Children in Trouble (1970, Routledge & Kegan Paul)
- Abel Smith, Doroth Crouchfield: A History of the Herts Training School 1857-1982 (2008, Able Publishing)
- Garnett, Emmeline Juvenile offenders in Victorian Lancashire: W J Garnnett and the Bleasdale Reformatory (2008, Regional Heritage Centre, Lancaster University)
- Hicks, J.D. The Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory, Market Weighton (1996, East Yorkshire Local History Society)
- Slocombe, Ivor Wiltshire Reformatory for Boys, Warminster, 1856-1924 (2005, Hobnob Press)
- Duckworth, J.S. The Hardwicke Reformatory School, Gloucestershire (in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1995, Vol. 113, 151-165)
- Red Lodge Museum, Bristol — a former girls' reformatory.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.