Saints Peter and Paul Home for Babies, Catford, London

The Saints Peter and Paul Home for Babies was opened in January, 1939, by the Waifs and Strays Society at Lushington Road, Catford. It replaced the St Peter and St Paul Home for Babies at Balham, where the building was felt no longer to be suitable.

At the outbreak of the Second World War in September, 1939, the children and staff were evacuated in two buses to Horsted Keynes where they operated as Treeman's Nursery until 1944. They then moved to Kingsdown at Upper Lambourn in Berkshire.

During the war, the Catford site was used as a small military hospital.

In 1947, the Catford premises were re-opened as the Princess Helena Victoria Nursery Training College. In 1960, the college was relocated to Grenville House at Ascot in Berkshire.

The Catford building no longer exists. The site is now occupied by a school for children with severe learning difficulties.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.