Chadlington Home, Chadlington, Oxfordshire

In 1900, the National Children's Home (NCH), opened a new branch in the Oxfordshire Village of Chadlington. The home eventually occupied two separate houses, both on what is now Chapel Road, with the girls accommodated at 'College Farmhouse' and the boys at 'Ivy Dene' (now the 'Gray House'). In 1901, however, only the girls' home appears to have been in operation, housing 28 children aged from 3 to 16 and with Lydia Woolcock as Matron.

College Farm, Chadlington, 1904. Courtesy of Terry Garratt.

Ivy Dene or Gray House, Chadlington, 1904. Courtesy of Terry Garratt.

The Chadlington homes closed in 1904 following the opening of the NCH's new home, three miles away, at Chipping Norton.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) has an Access to Care service, which can provide their own records to individual who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes.
  • Action for Children's Genealogy Service deals with enquiries from relatives or decendants of those who were in the charity's Care.

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Howard, Philip J Philip: a Strange Child (Dalkeith Publishing, 2007)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films