Cheshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run at some time in their history by Cheshire County Council.
- Beech Mount Nursery, Bowdon, Altrincham
- The Marfords Remand Home, Dibbinsdale Road, Bromborough
- Heather Brae, Congleton
- Hostel for Girls, 261 Nantwich Road, Crewe
- Family Group Home, Sunnyside, 261 Nantwich Road, Crewe
- Broadfield Hostel for Girls, Davenport
- Chester Union / Cheshire Council Cottage Home (Girls), Main Road, Dodleston*
- Bunbury House, 1 Alnwick Drive, Ellesmere Port
- Family Group Home, Dale Hey, 16 Gawsworth Road, Ellesmere Port
- Sunnymede Family Group Home, Great Sutton
- Wirral Union / Cheshire Council Receiving Home, Brynmor, 32 North Parade, Hoylake*
- Hoylake Mothers and Babies Home, Prospect House, 7 Trinity Road, Hoylake
- Altrincham (Bucklow) Union / Cheshire Council Scattered Home and Reception Centre, Kilrie, Northwich Road, Knutsford*
- Kilirie Residential Nursery, Northwich Road, Knutsford
- Receiving Home, Racefield, Cranford Avenue, Knutsford
- Kilrie Reception Centre, Knutsford
- Northwich Union Cottage Homes, The Lymes, 271 London Road, Leftwich*
- Chester Union / Cheshire Council Cottage Home (Boys), Hermitage Road, Little Saughall*
- The Quillets, Little Sutton
- Rosebank, Lymm
- Macclesfield Union / Cheshire Council Scattered Home (Girls), Ash Mount, Peter Street, Macclesfield*
- Macclesfield Union / Cheshire Council Scattered Home (Boys), Holm Lea, Chester Road, Macclesfield*
- Family Group Home, The Moss, 4 Congleton Road, Macclesfield
- Family Group Home, Westwood, Ashfield Drive, Macclesfield
- Priors Hill, Macclesfield
- Norwood Hostel for Boys, Marple
- The Limes, Middlewich
- The Lindens Family Group Home, Middlewich
- Family Group Home, Greenfields, 199 Queen's Drive, Nantwich
- Boys' Remand Home, Redsands, Nantwich
- St Joseph's School for Roman Catholic Boys, London Road, Nantwich
- The Meadows, Barnton, Northwich
- Girls' Remand Home, High Bank, Barnton, Northwich
- Sandhills, Romiley
- Family Group Home, Bridge View, 84 Grangeway, Runcorn
- Avenham, Wardle Road, Sale
- Boothville, Elworth, Sandbach
- Redwalls, 80 Weaverham Road, Cuddington, Sandiway
- Nantwich Union / Cheshire Council Cottage Homes, The Mount, Crewe Road, Willaston*
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Cheshire Council homes may exist at:
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies, Cheshire Record Office, Duke Street, Chester, Cheshire CH1 1RL.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports (though not resident lists etc.), are held by The National Archives (TNA). A closure period may apply to these records.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Urquhart, Gloria (2020) Nobody's Child: The True Story of Growing up in a Yorkshire Children's Home
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.