Cheshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Cheshire County Council.
- Beech Mount Nursery, Bowdon, Altrincham
- The Marfords Remand Home, Dibbinsdale Road, Bromborough
- Heather Brae, Congleton
- Hostel for Girls, 261 Nantwich Road, Crewe
- Family Group Home, Sunnyside, 261 Nantwich Road, Crewe
- Broadfield Hostel for Girls, Davenport
- Chester Union / Cheshire Council Cottage Home (Girls), Main Road, Dodleston*
- Bunbury House, 1 Alnwick Drive, Ellesmere Port
- Family Group Home, Dale Hey, 16 Gawsworth Road, Ellesmere Port
- Sunnymede Family Group Home, Great Sutton
- Wirral Union / Cheshire Council Receiving Home, Brynmor, 32 North Parade, Hoylake*
- Hoylake Mothers and Babies Home, Prospect House, 7 Trinity Road, Hoylake
- Altrincham (Bucklow) Union / Cheshire Council Scattered Home and Reception Centre , Kilrie, Northwich Road, Knutsford*
- Receiving Home, Racefield, Cranford Avenue, Knutsford
- Kilrie Reception Centre, Knutsford
- Northwich Union Cottage Homes, The Lymes, 271 London Road, Leftwich*
- Chester Union / Cheshire Council Cottage Home (Boys), Hermitage Road, Little Saughall*
- The Quillets, Little Sutton
- Rosebank, Lymm
- Macclesfield Union / Cheshire Council Scattered Home (Girls), Ash Mount, Peter Street, Macclesfield*
- Macclesfield Union / Cheshire Council Scattered Home (Boys), Holm Lea, Chester Road, Macclesfield*
- Family Group Home, The Moss, 4 Congleton Road, Macclesfield
- Family Group Home, Westwood, Ashfield Drive, Macclesfield
- Priors Hill, Macclesfield
- Norwood Hostel for Boys, Marple
- The Limes, Middlewich
- The Lindens Family Group Home, Middlewich
- Family Group Home, Greenfields, 199 Queen's Drive, Nantwich
- Nantwich Union / Cheshire Council Cottage Homes, The Mount, Crewe Road, Nantwich*
- Boys' Remand Home, Redsands, Nantwich
- St Joseph's School for Roman Catholic Boys, London Road, Nantwich
- The Meadows, Barnton, Northwich
- Girls' Remand Home, High Bank, Barnton, Northwich
- Sandhills, Romiley
- Family Group Home, Bridge View, 84 Grangeway, Runcorn
- Avenham, Sale
- Boothville, Elworth, Sandbach
- Redwalls, Sandiway
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Cheshire Council homes may exist at:
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies, Cheshire Record Office, Duke Street, Chester, Cheshire CH1 1RL.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.