St John Baptist's Special School for Roman Catholic Boys, Chigwell, Essex
The St John Baptist's Special School for Roman Catholic Boys, an Industrial School, was established in 1897 at The Manor House, Turpin's Lane, Chigwell. It was run by The Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary for boys under the age of 16 who were suffering from ophthalmic conditions.
On October 7th, 1910, the premises were certified for use as an Industrial School for the accommodation of 160 boys.
In 1911, the school was managed by a Mother Superior and 20 sisters of the Sacred Heart, assisted by one certificated teacher and four maids. The premises then comprised "a conventual division for the staff, two large blocks providing dormitory, day-room and dining-room accommodation for inmates, and many smaller buildings for school purposes, work, and religious services [and] ample space for recreation." Playgrounds had recently been completed, as had a new chapel. The buildings were said to be "clean and maintained in perfect repair. There is ample provision for escape from all parts of the buildings in case of fire, and sanitary fittings are excellent; the lavatories and the drainage system are of modern construction and sufficient in every respect."
The establishment ceased operating as an Industrial School in 1930.
The School continues in operation to the present day and is now known as St John's RC Special School, catering for children with learning difficulties.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- St John's RC School, Turpin's Lane, Woodford Bridge, Essex, IG8 8AX.
- None noted at present.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.