Penhurst, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
In December 1903, the National Children's Home (NCH) opened its Penhurst home on New Street, Chipping Norton. Penhurst grew out of a pair of adjacent houses which were subsequently supplemented by the gift of a neighbouring property and its lodge. By 1912, the home could accommodate 100 children. The establishment's first matron was Sister Lydia Woolcock who had previously held the post at the nearby Chadlington home.
From the outset, Penhurst was used as a home and residential school for convalescent and physically disabled children. Amongst its first intake were a victim of severe hemiplegia, a child suffering from spinal curvature, and others who were 'deficient in the primary limbs or muscular power'. The aim of the home was to help such children to become mobile and capable of future independence.
The grounds of the home included a covered shelter where the children could work or play when the weather demanded.
One form of income for the home was the funding of an individual bed which carried a plaque to commemorate the donor, as can be seen in the picture below.
For children needing medical care, the home had its own small infirmary.
As well as basic education, the children at Penhurst were taught various skills that they could make use of in later life. The older girls received training in the home's laundry and hospital. Physically disabled children learned crafts such as basket-weaving and rug-making.
Emphasis was also placed on the development of musical skills. This included activities such as singing and the playing of instruments such as the violin, dulcimer and mandolin.
In 1953, the home became Penhurst School, providing specialised care for severely disabled children. It continued in the role for sixty years until falling numbers finally led to its closure in 2013.
A famous 'old boy' of Penhurst was the artist John Buchanan (1908-1953), who was born without hands8. He was placed in care in after his parents were unable to cope with his disability but later gained an international reputation for his work. The home's chapel contained a memorial to Buchanan.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.
- Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
- Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
- Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
- Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
- Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)
- Action For Children.
- Their History — a website on the homes by a former resident.
- Growing up in the NCH — a forum for those who spent time in NCH homes.
- Scenes from various NCH Homes — 1960s film footage.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 1 — Arriving at Harpenden.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 2 — Harpenden Oval.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 3 — Annual Convocation, Alverstoke
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 4 — Special facilities at Danesford, Chipping Norton, Harpenden and Frodsham.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 5 — Founders Day at Princess Alice Orphanage; training at Harpenden.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 6 — Harpenden.
- NCH Documentray (1964) Part 1 — Disabled and special needs at Harpenden and Chipping Norton
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 2 — Disabled and special needs children at Harpenden, Edgworth, Chipping Norton.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 3 — Harpenden, Edgworth, Chipping Norton.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 4 — Alverstoke.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 5 — Alverstoke.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 6 — Alverstoke.
- NCH Frodsham (1960s) Part 1
- NCH Frodsham (1960s) Part 2
- NCH Brackley (1960s)
- Danesford School (1960s)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.