Clapton Home for Boys, Clapton, London

The Clapton Home for Boys was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1882 at Frederick Terrace, Aveley Road, Clapton. It was the second home to be opened by the Society, following the girls' home at East Dulwich.

The Clapton home was used as a receiving home, providing boys with temporary care until they were placed in foster homes or in other establishments. Initially, the home could accommodate 24 boys aged 7 to 14. Its capacity was increased to 30 after building work was carried out in 1883.

While at the home, the boys continued their education either in the home's own school room or at a local school. They also received singing lessons from a local lady who played the home's organ, and were taught sewing and darning by the home's Matron, Mrs Mitchell.

The Clapton proved increasingly unsatisfactory and the home was closed in 1887. The boys were then transferred to the Society's new home at Frome in Somerset.

Aveley Road no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.