Marie Hall Home / Danesford School, Congleton, Cheshire
The Marie Hall home for boys, at West House, West Road, Congleton, was established in 1920 as a branch of the National Children's Home (NCH). It was founded through a donation by Mr John Hall. The home could accommodate 140 boys aged up to 14 years.
In around 1935, the home became a Junior Approved School known as Danesford School, for boys up to the age of 13. Danesford was one of several Approved Schools run by NCH, the others being at Farnborough, Carmarthen, Penarth and Seaton in Devon, the latter being for girls.
In 1973, following the abolition of Approved Schools, Danesford was revamped as a new-style Community Home with Education (CHE), jointly under the control of NCH and Cheshire County Council.
The property, a listed building, has now been converted to residential use.
Two adjacent properties were used as hostels by the School. Westholm (to the west) is now used as a church, while Woodlands (to the east) is now a pub.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.
- Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
- Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
- Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
- Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
- Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)
- Action For Children.
- Their History — a website on the homes by a former resident.
- Growing up in the NCH — a forum for those who spent time in NCH homes.
- Scenes from various NCH Homes — 1960s film footage.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 1 — Arriving at Harpenden.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 2 — Harpenden Oval.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 3 — Annual Convocation, Alverstoke
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 4 — Special facilities at Danesford, Chipping Norton, Harpenden and Frodsham.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 5 — Founders Day at Princess Alice Orphanage; training at Harpenden.
- NCH Documentary (1954) Part 6 — Harpenden.
- NCH Documentray (1964) Part 1 — Disabled and special needs at Harpenden and Chipping Norton
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 2 — Disabled and special needs children at Harpenden, Edgworth, Chipping Norton.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 3 — Harpenden, Edgworth, Chipping Norton.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 4 — Alverstoke.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 5 — Alverstoke.
- NCH Documentary (1964) Part 6 — Alverstoke.
- NCH Frodsham (1960s) Part 1
- NCH Frodsham (1960s) Part 2
- NCH Brackley (1960s)
- Danesford School (1960s)
- Short archive documentary on Danesford School.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.