Cornwall County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Cornwall County Council.
- Bodmin Union / Cornwall Council Scattered Home (Girls), 17 Beacon Road, Bodmin*
- Bodmin Union / Cornwall Council Scattered Home (Boys), Berrycombe Hill, Bodmin*
- Fairholme Remand Home for Boys, Penelvan, Roskear, Camborne
- Penelvan Hostel for Girls, Roskear, Camborne
- Falmouth Union / Cornwall Council Home (Girls), 11 Clare Terrace, Falmouth*
- St Budoc's, Falmouth
- Nursery Home, Bodriggey, Hayle
- Vyvyan House (Girls), Meneage Road / Clodgey Lane, Helston
- Liskeard Union / Cornwall Council Home (Boys), 5 Wadeland Terrace, New Road, Liskeard*
- Liskeard Union / Cornwall Council Home (Girls), 6 Westwood Terrace, Old Road, Liskeard*
- Pendean, Liskeard
- Pentillie, Mevagissey
- Trenance House Reception Home, 27 Trenance Road, Newquay
- Towan Blystra Reception / Remand Home, Mount Wise, Newquay
- Trenovissick House, Par
- Trelyn, Perranporth
- Duncan House Hostel for Boys, 114 Fore Street, Saltash
- St Austell Union / Cornwall Council Scattered Home (Girls), 45 Slades Road, St Austell*
- Biscovey Boys' Home, Biscovey, St Austell
- Mother and Baby Home, Rosewood, Woodland Road, St Austell
- St Austell Union / Cornwall Council Scattered Home (Boys), 'Tregonissey', St Austell*
- St Columb Major Union Scattered Home, 'Menalhyl', St Columb Major*
- St Columb Major Union Scattered Home, 'Treleigh', New Road, St Columb Major*
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Cornwall Council homes may exist at:
- Cornwall Record Office, Old County Hall, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3AY.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.