Netherheys, South Croydon, Surrey
In October 1949, the Netherheys Barnardo's home was opened at 208 Pampisford Road, South Croydon. It housed up to twenty-two boys and girls.
A day-care unit for the under-fives also operated at the site from the mid-1960s until 1973. Decreasing demand for places at the home led to its closure in 1983, with its remaining children being fostered, adopted, or dispersed to other children's homes. The building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. File BN62/1301 — inspection reports (1950-61). [Access closed for 75 years]
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.