Training Home for Young Servants, Croydon, Surrey
A Training Home for Young Servants was opened in 1888 by the Croydon Rescue and Preventive Association. Its premises at 4 Morland Road, Croydon, could accommodate up to 17 'orphaned, friendless girls or those in danger from bad surroundings'. A charge was made of 3s. 6d. for girls from Croydon, and 5s. a week for those from elsewhere. Girls were admitted between the ages of 12 and 16, and trained for domestic service. They were expected to remain at the Home for between 6 months and two years or more.
On 17th May, 1904, the establishment was accredited as a Certified School, allowing it to receive girls boarded out by the Poor Law authorities. On November 16th, 1916, the Home also became a certified Industrial School and could accommodate girls placed under detention by magistrates.
The Home resigned its Industrial School certificate in September, 1922, and presumably closed at that time. The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.