Cumberland County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Cumberland County Council.
- Home for Boys, Englethwaite Hall, Armathwaite
- Pelham House School for Boys, North Drive, Ponsonby, Calder Bridge
- Mill House Remand Home, Linstock, Carlisle
- Orton Park, Wigton Road, Carlisle
- Edmond Castle School for Boys, Garden Walk, Hayton, Wetheral, Carlisle
- Cumberland County Industrial School for Boys, Strawberry How Road, Cockermouth
- Community Home, 21 Huntley Avenue, Penrith
- Sandath Nursery, Fell Lane, Penrith
- Lark Hall (Girls), Scotland Road, Penrith
- Scotby House, Scotby
- Geltsdale, The Plains, Wetheral
- Community Home, 30 Overend Road, Whitehaven
- Community Home, Wedgewood, 14 Hollins Close, Whitehaven
- Community Home, Allerdale, Longthwaite Road, Wigton
- Greenhill, Red Dial, Wigton
- Community Home, 71 Wastwater Avenue, Workington
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Cumberland Council homes may exist at:
- Barrow Archive and Local Studies Centre, 140 Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA14 1XW.
- Carlisle Archive Centre, Lady Gillford's House, Petteril Bank Road, Carlisle CA1 3AJ.
- Kendal Archive Centre, Kendal County Offices, Kendal LA9 4RQ.
- Whitehaven Archive and Local Studies Centre, Scotch Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7NL.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.