St Joseph's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls, Darlington, Durham
St Joseph's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls, Darlington, Durcame began operating on March 11th, 1893. It was located at corner of Carmel Road and Milbank Road, Darlington, and could originally house 60 girls aged from 3 to 16. Additions to the buildings over the years increased its capacity to 120 in 1898, and to 150 in 1911. As well as taking girls committed by the courts, the School was also certified to admit girls placed by the workhouse authorities.
St Joseph's gave up its Industrial School status in October, 1926, but continued in operation as a home and school for Roman Catholic girls run by Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul. The establishment was closed in 1967 and the inmates transferred to a smaller 'family group' home at 64 Cleveland Avenue, Darlington.
The Carmel Road property was sold off in 1968 and the buildings demolished in 1972. The site is now covered by a modern housing estate. The Cleveland Avenue premises are now occupied by a children's nursery.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- St Cuthbert's Care, St Cuthbert's House, West Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 7PY.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.