Fresh Air Home and School for Jewish Children, Delamere, Cheshire
The Jewish Fresh Air Home and School for Delicate Manchester and Salford Children was founded in 1919 by Margaret Langdon, a prominent Manchester Jewish philanthropist and activist in community care. The School was built on a five-acre site overlooking Delamere Forest, at the west side of Blakemere Lane, Delamere, and was opened in 1921.
From its opening in 1921, until her retirement in 1959, the head of the School was Helena Penina Landau. She was also an aunt of the well-known neurologist, Dr Oliver Sacks.
In 2010, the Delamere Forest School, as it was by then known, closed in 2010 and moved to new premises in north Manchester, working in partnership with the Together Trust (formerly the Manchester and Salford Refuges). However, it was soon decided that running the new establishment would not be financially viable and it was closed in July, 2011.
The body that had run the School was then renamed the Delamere Charitable Trust and continues to provide and promote services for young Jewish people with special educational needs who are unable to develop within the normal classes of mainstream schools.
Former Delamere Forest School.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies, Cheshire Record Office, Duke Street, Chester, Cheshire CH1 1RL. Ref. D 6355 — Papers of Helena Penina Landau comprising: Annual Reports of the School, 1921/22-1957/58; Report of the Building and Finance Committee (1919-21; 'Birthday Books' — bound volumes of pupils' drawings presented to Landau on her birthday, 1935-1957; Photographs of pupils at the School; Letters from former pupils and parents (1952-59); Newspaper cuttings and journal articles; Draft of speech made by Landau at School AGM (1952); 'School Reports' by Landau (1950s); Volume presented to Landau on her retirement. Ref. DDX 514 — Plans and elevations of the buildings (1919,1927).
- Origins of the School by David Patchick.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.