Denbighshire/Clwyd County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Denbighshire/Clwyd County Council.
- Tanygyrt Residential Nursery, Nantglyn
- Community Home, 15-17 Llwyn Onn, Elwy Road Estate, Rhos on Sea
- Heulfre Children's Home, Heulfre, Ruthin
- Heulfre Children's Home, 14 Horsley Drive, Little Acton, Wrexham
- Hoste for Mentally Handicapped, 45 Tapley Avnue, Wrexham
- Community Home, 7 Tan-y-dre, Holt Road, Wrexham
- Assessment Centre, Bersham Hall, Wrexham
- Mother and Baby Home, Bersham Hall, Wrexham
- Residential Nursery, Box Lane, Little Acton, Wrexham
- Assessment Centre, Cherry Hill, Borras Road, Wrexham
- Wrexham Union Scattered Home / Denbighshire Council Home for Working Boys, Coppenhall House, 81 Benjamin Road, Wrexham*
- Coppenhall, 188 Centenary Road, Brynoffa, Wrexham
- Chevet Hay Reception Centre / Community Home, Greenfield Road, Wrexham
- Holm Oak, Rhosddu Road, Wrexham
- Assessment Centre, Little Acton, 101 Box Lane, Wrexham
- Wrexham Union Scattered Home / Denbighshire Council Residential Nursery, Little Acton, 101 Box Lane, Wrexham*
- Bryn Estyn School for Boys, Bryn Estyn Road, Wrexham
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Denbighshire/Clwyd Council homes may exist at:
- Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin Gaol, 46 Clwyd Street, Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15 1HP.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.