St Vincent's Home / Home of the Holy Child / Open-Air School, Dover, Kent
St Vincent's Home for Roman Catholic Boys was established in 1903 at 7 Eastbrook Place, Maison Dieu Road, Dover. It was run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul and was linked to their adjacent convent. The premises could accommodate up to 50 boys, aged from 3 to 14 years at their date of admission.
In April, 1903, at the request of the Southwark Rescue Society, a home for 'crippled and delicate boys' was established in the neighbouring property at 8, Eastbrook Place. The Home of the Holy Child, as it became known, could accommodate about twenty boys, with voluntary cases being admissible as well as the Rescue Society's children. By 1915, the Home appears to have relocated to 6 Eastbrook Place.
In November, 1917, towards the end of the First World War, it was reported that the Sisters were greatly suffering from the enormous increase in the prices of food and other necessaries needed for the children under their care. Their 'Convalescent Home' — presumably the Home of the Holy Child — was said to be practically closed owing to its being situated in the war zone, so that the Sisters were forced to make a public for contributions for the support of their work.
In 1927, Eastbrook Place became home to St Vincent's Open-air School for delicate children. In 1934, the School moved to new premises at St Leonards on Sea in Sussex.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.