Dover Home for Boys, Dover, Kent

The Dover Home for Boys is believed to have been founded in around 1883 by Mr Thomas Blackman at 27 Pencester Road, Dover. It was originally used as summer holiday home for children from London and other large cities.

In around 1894, the establishment was taken over as a residential home by the Waifs and Strays Society and provided accommodation for 14 boys aged from 7 to 12.

The home closed in 1905 and the children were transferred to the new St George's Home for Boys at Tunbridge Wells.

The Pencester Road property no longer survives.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.