Home for Big Lads, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
The Home for Big Lad was established in 1883 at 28 Townsend Street, Dublin. It was one of a number of homes run by Ellen Smyly, in association with the Irish Church Mission.
The Home could accommodate up to 20 'rough' lads, for whom situations were found as openings occurred, after they received a degree of training by carrying out work at the Mission schools.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Records for Smyly's homes (including emigration records) are physically held at the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin. However, access is restricted to staff of the Smyly Trust to whom initial enquiries should be directed at 15 Rock Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland (+353 1 283 2071, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Smyly, Vivienne The Early History of Mrs Smyly's Homes and Schools (c.1976, privately published)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.