William Henry Elliott Home, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
The Elliott Home for Waifs and Strays was established in 1872, in memory of the late William Henry Elliott. It was one of a number of homes run by Ellen Smyly, in association with the Irish Church Mission.
In 1875, after its original premises proved too small for the ever-increasing number of applicants, the Home relocated to Townsend Street. Initially occupying numbers 168-169, the Home eventually expanded to take in numbers 165-169. In 1884, 120 boys and girls could be accommodated.
Destitute children of both sexes and various ages were admitted to the Home. The children, after receiving some training, were passed on to the other mission schools if suitable. The Earl of Meath lent a house at Delgany where the children generally went for two months in the summer.
The home subsequently moved to Abbeyview, at Bray, and later to 7-8 Charlemont Street, Dublin.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Records for Smyly's homes (including emigration records) are physically held at the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin. However, access is restricted to staff of the Smyly Trust to whom initial enquiries should be directed at 15 Rock Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland (+353 1 283 2071, email@example.com).
- Smyly, Vivienne The Early History of Mrs Smyly's Homes and Schools (c.1976, privately published)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.