Heytesbury Street Industrial School for Protestant Girls, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland
On 24 July 1869, the Heytesbury Street Industrial School for Protestant Girls was certified to begin operation in premises at 92 Heytesbury Street, Dublin. The premises, at the south-east corner of the junction with Camden Row, had previously housed the Asylum for Protestant Females Discharged from Government Prisons, opened in 1860, largely due to the efforts of the Rev. David Stuart. After the existing inmates had been transferred to another institution at Bray, Co. Meath, the buildings were remodelled and enlarged for the accommodation of fifty-six girls, aged from 6 to 10 years at their time of admission.
An inspection in 1870 found that the premises included two good and well ventilated dormitories, a workroom and a laundry. The children's playground was noted as being too small and it was recommended that an adjoining field be procured for the purpose. The girls were taught reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic and singing. Their industrial training included needlework and dressmaking; they made their own dresses, and shirts for the boys belonging to the Meath Industrial School at Blackrock. They were also taught cooking and laundry work, to make up fine linen, and perform the other duties of household servants. Some of the older girls had several of their very young companions placed under their charge, and were thus trained for the situation of children's maids when they left the institution. The superintendent was Miss M Jozé, assisted by a school teacher, work mistress, and a kitchen matron who was also a laundress.
The 1876 inspection noted that the girls now upholstered the mattresses used in the School. A mark system was in operation whereby rewards and privileges were earned by good conduct. The superintendent was now Mrs Bradshaw.
By 1880, the School had taken a cottage home at Dundrum where girls in delicate health could spend time. The superintendent was now Miss Buckley. The following year, the laundry was enlarged and new boilers fitted. The girls did all the washing of the institution but did not take in work for the public.
The School resigned its certificate on 12 July 1901. The twenty remaining inmates were then transferred to the Meath Industrial School at Bray, Co. Wicklow.
The Heytesbury Street premises were subsequently occupied by the Home of Rest for the Protestant Dying, later the Gascoigne Home for the Elderly. The building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.