House of Mercy, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Dublin's House of Mercy began life in 1824 when Catherine McAuley leased from the Earl of Pembroke a site at the corner of Lower Baggot Street and Herbert Street. Her intention for the establishment was the education of the poor, visitation of the sick, and the protection of young women of good character. The corner stone of the new building was laid in 1824 and it opened its doors in 1827. Other women joined McAuley in her work and the House of Mercy became the Convent of Mercy, home to a new order known as the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy.
By the twentieth century, the home usually sheltered and maintained around 30 to 40 young women, who were and employed in laundry and needlework, and trained as household servants. Recommendations and good references were required for admission.
The building was restored in 1994 and is now home to the Mercy International Centre.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Mercy Congregational Archives, Catherine McAuley Centre, 23 Herbert Street, Dublin 2, D02 HD68, Ireland.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.