Girls' Home and Infants' Day School, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
A Girls' Home and Infants' Day School was founded in 1854 at 19 Luke Street, Dublin. It was one of a number of homes run by Ellen Smyly, in association with the Irish Church Mission.
The Home could accommodate up to 60 orphan and neglected girls aged 12 to 17 years, with 120 places for infants in the Day School. The girls were trained for domestic service.
The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Records for Smyly's homes (including emigration records) are physically held at the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin. However, access is restricted to staff of the Smyly Trust to whom initial enquiries should be directed at 15 Rock Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland (+353 1 283 2071, email@example.com).
- Smyly, Vivienne The Early History of Mrs Smyly's Homes and Schools (c.1976, privately published)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.