St Joseph's Special School for Educable Mentally Defective Roman Catholic Boys, Dunmow, Essex
St Joseph's School for Educable Mentally Defective Roman Catholic Boys was established in 1916 ,at Bigod's Hall, Bigod's Lane, Dunmow, Essex. It was run by the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary.
On September 29th, 1917, the establishment was formally certified as an Industrial School, allowing it to receive boys committed for detention by the courts. The premises could accommodate up to 61 boys, aged 5 to 14 years.
St Joseph's ceased its Industrial School role on 30th November, 1931.
In 1950, the School moved to Cranleigh, Surrey. In 1981, its operation was taken over by the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton. St Joseph's Specialist School and College is now a residential and day school catering for children with learning difficulties.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Try Arundel & Brighton RC Diocesan Archives, Bishop's House, The Upper Drive, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 6NB.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- St Joseph's Specialist School and College
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.