Northern Ireland Eastern Board Homes
Children's establishments run by Northern Ireland Eastern Board.
- Kincora Working Hostel for Boys, 236 Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast
- Family Group Home, 37 Ballysillan Park, Belfast
- Ettaville Hostel for Girls (Working), 4 Kirkliston Drive, Belfast
- 446/8 Antrim Road, Belfast
- Family Group Home, 45 Ballysillan Park, Belfast
- Brefne Residential Nursery, 59-61 Somerton Road, Belfast
- Palmerston Assessment Centre, 6 Palmerston Road, Belfast
- 60 North Road, Belfast
- 70 Bawnmore Road, Lisburn Road, Belfast
- 70 Fort William Park, Belfast
- Terrace Hill Children's Home, Shaw's Bridge, Belfast
- Bawnmore, Whitewell Road, Belfast
- Family Group Home, 18 Vianstown Park, Downpatrick
- Marmion Children's Home, Church Road, Holywood
- Family Group Home, 203-204 Lancaster Walk, Newtownards
- Hostel for Boys, 32-36 Valetta Park, Newtownards
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Eastern Board Council homes may exist at:
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, 2 Titanic Boulevard, Titanic Quarter, Belfast BT3 9HQ.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.