Nazareth House, East Finchley, Middlesex

A Nazareth House was opened in 1921 in a large house previously known as Knightons at 162 East End Road, East Finchley, replacing a previous establishment in Chiswick. The home provided accommodation for orphan and destitute children and for the elderly poor. The children taken in were primarily girls although a few young boys were also accommodated.

The building was extended in 1928 and 1936 and a new nursery was added in 1936. The home was no longer used for children after 1974. Since then it has continued to provide residential care for the elderly.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography