Home for Cripples, Edmonton, Middlesex

The Home for Cripples was opened in 1911 at 64 Wellington Road, Bush Hill Park, Edmonton. Along with its sister establishment at Winchmore Hill, opened at around the same time, it replaced the Cripples Home and Refuge on Marylebone Road, founded in 1851.

On 28th September, 1911, the Edmonton home was formally licensed to operate as a Certified School, allowing it to receive children boarded out by the workhouse authorities.

The home appears to have stayed in operation for a fairly short time.

Former Home for Cripples, Wellington Road, Edmonton.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.